Join the Texas A&M Institute of Data Science for the Biomedical Data Science Online Training Program* from November 2021, through June 2022. The series is aimed primarily at graduate students in the biomedical sciences, but others interested in the field are welcome to join.
Sessions will couple exposition of underlying principles with engagement of session participants through online quizzes and hands-on exercises focused on developing computational competencies using R notebooks. The program also provides self-instruction materials on the R language and statistical foundations. The instructors are faculty experts in Data Science with specialization in session topic areas.**
Why should you participate?
Join the program and…
- Engage Texas A&M faculty experts in a variety of data science domains.
- Expand your knowledge of the R language and in the areas of computation, systems, and statistics.
- Experience hands-on application of supervised and unsupervised statistical learning to biomedical data.
- Establish a foundation for your understanding of FAIR data management, algorithmic fairness, data ethics, privacy preservation, and regulatory requirements, including HIPAA compliance.
Explore the curriculum and register for any or all sessions of interest!
Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Session 1: R and Statistics Tutorials
Instructors: M. Hielsberg & J. Tao
- Session 2: Manipulating Big(ish) Data in Excel, and Reading into R
Instructors: F. Wright, C. Brinkmeyer-Langford, & D. Lloyd
- Session 3: Manipulating and Displaying Big(ish) Data in R
Instructors: F. Wright, B. Beykal, & A. Dickey
- Session 4: Statistical Learning—Regression
Instructor: S. Dasgupta | Thu., Nov. 18, 2021 • 1–3 p.m. CT
- Session 5: Statistical Learning—Classification
Instructor: S. Dasgupta | Thu., Dec. 16, 2021 • 1–3 p.m. CT
- Session 6: Statistical Learning—Clustering
Instructor: S. Dasgupta | Thu., Jan. 20, 2022 • 1–3 p.m. CT
- Session 7: Statistical Learning—Dimension Reduction
Instructor: S. Dasgupta | Thu., Feb. 17, 2022 • 1–3 p.m. CT
Data Management and Policy:
- Session 8: Fundamentals of FAIR Research Data
Instructors: L. Sare, D. Tabor, & J. Watts | Wed., March 9, 2022 • 1–3 p.m. CT
- Session 9: FAIR in the Real World
Instructors: L. Sare, D. Tabor, & J. Watts | Wed., April 6, 2022 • 1–3 p.m. CT
- Session 10: Data Privacy and Policy
Instructors: H. Kum & C. Schmit | Wed., May 11, 2022 • 1–3 p.m. CT
- Session 11: Algorithmic Fairness and Social Ramifications
Instructor: T. Chaspari | Wed., June 1, 2022 • 1–3 p.m. CT
- Session 12: Cloud Computing and Big Data Analytics
Instructor: J. Tao | Wed., July 6, 2022 • 1–3 p.m. CT
*Acknowledgment: This program is supported by DHHS-NIH-National Institute of General Medical Science award T32 GM135748-02S1 for “Maximizing Student Development in Data and Information Science-Related Disciplines for Biomedical PhD Trainees.”
**Note: A certificate of completion will be available to all participants who attend at least 6 of the 9 live sessions. The first 100 Texas A&M students enrolled full-time in any degree-granting program who attend at least 6 of the 9 live sessions will receive a $25 gift certificate at the end of the program.
Post about the program on social media and use this hashtag!